Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wright is not my Reverend

I am so distraught over all this Obama/Wright stuff. I feel like I am seeing a battle going on between old generation and new generation black empowerment! I am a 37 year old, black woman living in Maryland working in DC. What is going on!!! Here we are about to get a chance at leveling the playing ground for empowerment and some elders are blocking passage. I'm so disappointed in all the hype. I believe the Rev has the right to defend himself but...for crying out loud!!!! We need power in this country before we can change it.

Obama can't transcend racial divide is the message I'm getting from this election. Not with all this drama! Is this what the sixties were about? Are the advocates of old angry with some of us younger blacks thinking we have given in because we allowed our selves to blend in? Is it true that for a Black man to be President he has to fight white prejudice and fear as well as black anger and fear and greed for power? I'm blown out of the water. Obama is getting heat from all sides and I believe him that he wants our country to get past the racial divisions of the past. I feel like if he makes it to the White House it will only be the most heart wrenching and anxiety filled experience for me, more so than this election cycle. I see why so many have become disillusioned by politics. It displays the best and worst in America all in one day. Just reading the comments on your article makes me feel hopeless that a unified America could emerge.

I can't believe how hard this really is.

I will vote for Barack Obama and I will not stand for being marginalized by black folks internal conflict exploited by outsiders or white folks fear.

Frustrated and wanting some peace!

No comments: