Monday, May 5, 2008

If I Were a Superdelegate...

I wouldn't know what the hell to do! (Except that I wouldn't want them to run together!)
  • Barack or Hillary?
  • Hope vs. Experience?
  • Idealism vs. Pragmatism?
  • Fight to Win or Fight the Good Fight?
  • Baby Boom vs. Post Civil Rights?
  • Black Man vs. a White Woman?
  • Hillary or Barack?
I hinted in an earlier post that I've become somewhat disillusioned with Barack Obama. Now, I'll just say it outright. He's become just a regular old politician to me, and I blame it on his mishandling of Jeremiah Wright, which I'll explain further down. Plus, election fatigue has set in. I know these primaries are energizing democrats like never before and hopefully they'll all be back to vote in the fall, but I'm just exhausted with this race and can't take much more of the chattering classes talking about what ifs. What if Hillary wins Indiana but loses North Carolina? What if he wins both? Will she drop out? What about the delegate math? Can the democratic party really afford to take the nomination away from the first credible African-American presidential candidate? Enough already with the prognostications! NOBODY knows today what will unfold after Tuesday as there are TOO MANY variables! I'm so overwrought that I don't even feel like reading my usual favorite pundits or scanning my favorite blogs. It's Monday afternoon already and I don't know what Frank Rich wrote yesterday! And I swear Chuck Todd is ignoring me as I haven't gotten an MSNBC text message since this morning.

But I seriously can't take watching Barack lose another primary and then having to watch Hillary Clinton with those apple-y cheeks and a big fake smile on her face and saying crap like, "You may have helped me win tonight, but your votes are really a win for America." I looked to you, Barack, because I would seriously like to know what it feels like to cast a vote for a winner. Not just someone who wins but someone with the political skills to make things for the good of the country happen in his or her favor , i.e. a real winner. The country is in a mood to support the next President regardless of who that is because we are all (except for 28% in the Republican base) so over George W. Bush. Inspire and connect. I believe you can do it. Besides, you'll have to do both in the fall.

I haven't voted for a winner in a presidential contest since 1992. That's because I keep supporting the democrats, who, by the way, have lost seven of the last ten presidential elections. Other than Bill Clinton, the dems haven't had a president win re-election since FDR! Ponder that a moment. That would mean that since the Great Depression and World War II--that would be the war that John Wayne made famous in those black and white movies that come on PBS on random Saturday nights (What, you don't remember all those great John Wayne movies about WWII? What, well neither do I, but ask your great grandparents about what things were like back then), the Democrats have not figured out how to appeal to the majority of Americans. The NYT's John Harwood has a theory and guess what? It has to do with race!*

Meanwhile Hillary is coming on like gangbusters! She is clearly the better campaigner, while he has run the better campaign. She was pilloried for calling the hard campaign "the fun part," but anyone can see she is clearly enjoying the fight. Criticize her gas tax holiday and she'll tell you why it's good in the short term and the long term. Appear on Bill O'Reilly and legitmize the entire network and get the Democratic establishment to realize that yes, it's just another television network. Now that she's won four of the last five (Ohio, Texas, Rhode Island, and Pennsylvania, but he won Vermont!) Obama needs to regroup and shake up the campaign staff with some new blood and some new approaches to the race as it needs to be run right now. Learn a thing or two from your opponents. Both Clinton and McCain fired people when they were losing. Well, guess what, Barack? You've been losing.

The first advice I might give is to take the gimme questions and run with them. When Tim Russert gives you a chance to talk about your sense of patriotism, it's wonderful to talk about your grandparents and World War II, but what values did they instill in you? Some Midwestern values that you could perhaps share with us and help you connect with the white working class? Right now all we know about your grandmother is that she loved you but she said things that made you cringe. It's great that Michele's dad was a hardworking shift employee with MS, but besides instilling in his children the importance of education, did she really grow up without ever having a proud moment as an American? If so, then explain why in a way that people will understand, otherwise is it really that hard to come up with an example? The Bi-Centennial Year? The Centennial Celebration of the Statue of Liberty? The U.S. defeating the Soviet hockey team in 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics? Michele's remarks have been out there just waiting for Barack to be named the presumptive nominee so the Republicans can paint you both as elitist and unpatriotic. Remember you'll be running against a former POW--an Annapolis grad who is the son and grandson of admirals--who chose to remain in a Vietnamese prison camp instead of leaving without his fellow sailors. Start selling yourself as patriotic and not just becaues you're likely to be the first African-American to win the democratic presidential nomination.

And now let's talk about Rev. Wright. Something does not ring true. I think I understand the why's of it all, but not not the what's. I don't think you've been honest about what went down at various flashpoints. Just because you may be ready to move forward and talk about issues that the American people care about, your enemies--and that's what they are, not mere opponents with differing philosophies of governing--will gladly keep reminding the voters that you sat in the pews of this church for 20 years without questioning some of the more radical ideas coming out of the pulpit. That's not leadership. I think that in an 8,000 member congregation there are doubtless numerous ministers on rotation and maybe Wright only preached there once a month. I take you at your word that you weren't there for certain sermons, but did you really not know the particulars of the man's reputation?

Well, you seem to have been able to take cover on that one. But what made you disinvite Wright from your campaign announcement? What was it that was so red hot that you were willing to insult a man who was like family to you? Did he understand why and gladly move to the background or did he smolder? Was he offended, as Al Sharpton was, that you would make such a calculating move? You wanted to avoid something, but what was it? Will you fully explain, or will you act like a politician on this one as well? You told Matt Lauer on the Today Show this morning that you have now distanced yourself from Wright (permanently I presume) because he had an opportunity to contextualize his remarks and instead he only amplified them. Are you really surprised that he actually meant what he said? His behavior showed that you didn't know him so well and he apparently didn't know you so well either. I guess that could be true, but I would think that any pastor, but especially one of Wright's standing in religous circles, would make it his business to get to know a congregant who is a U.S. Senator. But Wright prides himself on speaking truth to power so maybe your political ascent itself forced some distance between you two. But still he married you and Michele, baptized your daughters, and blessed your newly purchased home. Over those twenty years did you so poorly misjudge the man that you were shocked at his ideas, truly?

For me, the biggest outrage is that you knew something was up over a year ago, and you let it slide, which points to sheer political miscalculation. You had a chance to introduce yourself as a man of faith. Did you not learn that talking about faith and the path that brought you to your church and to Jesus Christ are extremely important to voters in the current political climate? Remember Tim Kaine, John F. Kennedy, and even Mitt Romney? Yet instead of taking the opportunity to get in front of this story and define yourself, you waited for it to explode. How then can we supporters of you accept your misjudgment of Wright but believe that you have the proper judgment to function decisively as president of the United States?

I still support you, Barack, but I really liked supporting you as a winner. Can you get it back on point? Please show me that you're learning from your mistakes. We have a president who thinks changing course is a sign of weakness. Show me that he's wrong and that learning from mistakes and not repeating them is a strength that you possess.
-----------------------------------
*Technically, I also helped re-elect Clinton in 1996, after he lost the Congress to Newt Gingrich in 1994 and before he went off the rails with "that woman" and got himself impeached.

2 comments:

Ericka said...

I'm am disturbed and perturbed at the standards you hold this man to, but you are not alone in your prognosis. It makes my stomach hurt that people put all their expectations of religion, faith, personal judgement and ballsiness into our political figures this way. Yeah you might be right about all of this and your romance with the Clinton grit, but I don't see it the same way. If you want to vote for a winner as defined by someone who wins the election only, then I guess we see two different things going on here.

No matter what happens, this is a win for America. He has presented to millions of people a choice that must be made about our great and flawed country. It is a movement! He is giving some gut wrenching questions. We shall see how she, America, will heed the call of duty to expect some solutions from our divided congress. Politics will never be the same again because of Barack Obama. This generation has gotten the political bug. A sleeping country is being awakened. So even if he doesn't win, all the millions of people that have engaged will now be watching...the world will be watching.

It disturbs me that you think his campaign people need to be fired. For what? Bringing his loss in PA to 10 points when it should have been 15 or more? Surviving the Rev. Wright media blitz? You have forgotten who he is running against. This is not some random politician...this the abused and ready to abuse Clinton machine, a former President, and all that comes with that! I'd say he has done well and will get this done...It may not be the way you want it, but it will be done.

About Rev. Wright. Go back and listen to his speech on race and go back and read all of his statements on Rev. Wright. He said he new he was controversal and all of the above. But there is a dynamic in that relationship that we don't know and I feel we don't need to. The way Barack has lived his life is proof enough for me. So I say forget about Wright! He is not running for president! Anyone that votes against him based on this mostlikely would have voted for Hillary anyway. AND...What if he did stay in that church because he liked it and liked some things about Rev. Wright. Oh no...this means he can't run the country (sarcasm). Well I don't buy that.

I like your examples of how he can show his patriotism...send it to HQ.

I hope you feel better about your rant. I will not be swayed so easily by a Clintonian good show. I find it hypocritical of people to put so much expectation of perfection on a man that said he wouldn't run a negative campaign.

We will see if the American people can stomach a new kind of politics or if it is even possible. I still think in all seriousness that you should vote for Hillary. It sounds like you have more confidence in her against the Republicans, no matter how she will run the country. By the way, he is going on the O'Reilly factor too. It is a Democratic decision not a Hillary Clinton decision to engage Fox News. He went first on to Wallace's show. She has been courting her enemies too. Howard Dean was on there too. So stop wringing your hands and be a volunteer for his campaign if you want him to win. Call NC or IN today and tell them why voted for him. It is the voters that make the decision. Not the pundits or the media. People that get to know him and decide for themselves. Not voting for him because you think he will lose would surely garantee him a loss.

Like I said before not only does the Democratic Party have a split personality, but so does this country. Maybe he will win, maybe he won't. I will not stop watching how my country is working. Will you? The republicans are loyal even when they are wrong! I will be loyal especially when in my gut it feels right. Okay...I'm done ranting back.

Sean McLeod said...

Dont' be telling me who I should vote for now. I still support Barack Obama, but the bloom is off the rose. He can talk about elevating politics all he wants, but first he's got to win, and to win he's got to be the one controlling the message and connecting with voters. I know he gets that in his head. He needs to show that he feels it in his heart.

I told Mom yesterday that perhaps I have an insight to Barack Obama because I too have been told by my loved ones that I need to express my emotions so that my loved ones feel a loving connection. I can see that Barack has this same challenge with the electorate. He's obviously got the smarts, but could he just please connect with the gut level side a little more. Hillary has the same problem, but she's connecting by showing herself to be the fighter for the little guy. Barack needs to find his voice and he's not getting the right feedback.

Perhaps this is part of the reason I feel such kinship with him. It's crazy to look at a stranger and project so much onto the man, but I just feel like we would get each other, given the chance.