Sunday, February 10, 2008

That's Me in the White House!

I was watching one of the ObamaTV videos, Woman for Obama, and for the first time I actually came to tears looking at his daughters imagining them playing in the white house like the Kennedy children. I was overwhelmed by the vision of a black young girl in pigtales or braides living on Pennsylvania Avenue! I want that. I want my daughter to see herself, someone like herself in the White House so that she can see that all things are possible. I just saw it for myself! Michele in the White House raising their daughters is so exciting! What a family! The thing that really makes me happy is that they belong! Rather than that innocent picture of a young black girl facing desegregation we are going to see young black girls enjoying their innocence as never seen before! The ignored world of young black girls. Exposed and open for everyone to see! Protected by secret service and in the oval office! Like all those warm photos we have seen of the Kennedy children so many times except this time with someone that looks like me when I was a little girl...what a joy! It is Martin Luther King's dream come true. It is the ultimate leveling of the field for black, brown and white people in America. Yes we can!

2 comments:

Sean McLeod said...

That is so beautifully expressed! I think it's fascinating how our choice for who we want see in the White House is so often a reflection how we want to see ourselves. Obama's popularity itself is testimony to the fact that we Americans want to see ourselves as having transcended race, just like this man is doing!

Ericka said...

Yes! That is part of the American dream. Those of us who have seen that and may slightly take it for granted, will now be exposed to "others" like never before.