Saturday, February 9, 2008

Hope or Experience? I choose HOPE!!!

What is it that inspires people to believe a change can come? Why does a single-mom like me keep on working so hard, going to school, raising my child, supporting my family, when it seems there is no rest or the light is so dim at the end of the tunnel? Where does the belief come that there is no where to go but up?
Hope

Hope has me. Hope has snatched me into a world of possibilities. Hope has helped me find a voice. Hope has given me strength. Hope is giving me a foundation. Hope is what matters.
Where does this all come from? Why now, and why so certain? Is it possible that an election could re-introduce me to what makes life worth living? Hope has found me again. I was beginning to loose hope that good and decent is contagious, is real and is possible to grasp. I've been challenged all my life with things that make me wonder if I can...just like everyone else. I have a story to tell full of joys and struggles...just like everyone else. I have fears and doubts... just like everyone else. There are far more things about me...that is just like everyone else...far more than what is not...

My struggles have been rooted in covert race issues, self-esteem, complacency, weight, bad choices in men...not knowing how to speak in my own voice. Listening to Barack Obama, listening to Michele Obama has renewed my sense of hope to the point of action. All the fears, self-doubt, struggles, trials, negative thoughts are all so small when I hear the inspiration of hope coming from his way of leading. I feel lead by a calling rather than a man. I'm inspired to do...rather than be done for. I'm 37 and all these years I've believed that a president is a man that knows better and knows best...but with Barack I believe that he is leading by a calling, a message, an uplifting. He has called me to believe in myself...that I can make a change. Never before have I truly believed this. And what brings it home is his message in unity. The solid foundation of success is unity. Whether you whisper it or say it out loud unity is empowerment to all. That is why the United States of America in name has such power. United! One Nation...

I know who ever sits in that office of President will make mistakes, but I trust that his will be out of attempts to make things better for most rather than some. I applaud his message because it is bringing all people together. I've wanted all my life to scream that I don't care what color you are or where you come from or how much money you have or what religion, size, or name you carry. I don't care! What I do care about is are we all getting a fair chance to succeed? I finally don't feel alone in these thoughts. He speaks to me in my core of what I believe...we are all created equal...he has opened my heart to trust that others may too believe these things. I'm not alone! Is it possible that we can unite no matter what we look like or how much we make...can we really be one country? YES WE CAN!

Barack Obama seems full of integrity and character. He is an example of humanity at its best. He has inspired me beyond what I ever thought possible. He dared me to believe and I can't resist the temptation. He makes me feel proud to be American, black, educated and able to overcome. Yes, I can! I am not alone in the discouragement and the division of the last 8 years has created. I was unable to chat with a republican, a conservatist, unable to share my voice. I felt sapped from empowerment, rought with fear, and removed from the process. Not anymore! I will participate and contribute to hope and unity.

I have dreams and hopes... I believe that I can make a difference.

No comments: