Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Letter to America

After a day of watching and reading about the state of this political debate, I am thoroughly sick and tired of the crap! Lipstick, pigs, bull dogs, book burners, troopergate, celebrities, pregnant teens, sex-ed, mooseburgers and tons of other irrelevant and meaningless debate has high jacked all the inspiration right out of me. I forgot why I hated politics until I saw why the Republicans win.

The Republican Party that I respected as worthy opponents because of their toughness has undoubtedly shown their greatest weakness. They are liars! They remake the truth into anything that makes them look like they love the everyday people, just to win elections and preserve power and dollars. Why can’t we Democrats call this unethical party out!

They claim to be a safe haven for Christian family values, yet they lie on the stump and always judge the intellectually accomplished. They claim to be pro-life, but quickly shoot down healthcare, even for Veterans. They claim to love our country, but don’t let our greatest assets, our values, be a beacon to the world. Instead they embrace torture and talk down to foreigners. I love what my country represents and for the first time in my adult life I question what many of my fellow country men think she represents. America is a beautiful land full of beautiful people. What are we really thinking about this election cycle?

When I look at the Statue of Liberty standing alone in that harbor I see an America proudly saying bring all to my shores. When I see the golden gate bridge I see a country that believes that all men and women are created equal. When I see New Orleans, I feel pride in the rich cultures we have so openly embraced. When I see the golden prairies of the heartland I feel the sentiment of all the farmers’ rewards of hard work. The Big Apple, Chitown, the Alamo, Florida Sunshine, Malibu Beach, lil ole Waverly, Virginia, Route 66 and millions and millions of other rich pockets of success and struggle that made America.

Today I lived a life like an alien in my own home. What happened to you America? Where have you gone? Is it only the landscape that can be a source of pride? Do I really know the personality of the people where I come from? Have I been falling for the okie-doke? What is this place of such conflict and pain, gotchas and put downs. Am I the only one paying attention that can understand why Michelle Obama thinks our country is mean? Or am I the only one that can see why Cindy McCain doesn’t get what she means? What is going on here?

Since when is privilege more important than perseverance? I feel like I’ve stepped into the twilight zone. Lies have been debunked, untruths uncovered. What kind of values are on display when some one lies to win the White House where we want no lies?

This day confirms a simple idea for me. Change is hard, change is painful, change can seem impossible. Republicans will hold on to what has always worked in the past. Exploit the swing voters attention span, insult the Left, put up smoke screens and mirrors because “we don’t care about those not like me.” That is the republican message, they start the culture wars and ask us to be ignorant of it all, I believe not even knowing what damage is being done to us watching the spectacle. Is this really the image they want to have? Compassionless, ideologues cynical on every issue? FEAR is the leader of the ego. FEAR is the angry message to ratchet up anger. When you peel away the skin of what is happening, I smell nothing but FEAR. FEAR creates liars from descent people.

America, are you willing to possibly be lead into another war of lies? I declare a war on lies since everything else can be warred against. SOOOO sick of the bs.

I want a President that is willing to call out the game. I want a President that will practically choose a direction that is for the good of the country whether it is left right or middle. I believe that my America is still here, I just can’t here her because the noise of ambition is killing her voice. Today I was reminded so firmly of why I am a Democrat. A LIBERAL PROGRESSIVE Democrat! I’m so proud to be a Democrat that believes our best days are to come because finally we will shut the fear mongerers the hell up! Truth is a value that should not be sacrificed to win.

Please, please, please, America, stand up with me and reject this crazy campaigning and the media’s addictive perpetuation! It is our right to know what these people stand for! Any more of what we’ve been through is very insane. Enough of the lies!!! America deserves better.

Love,
A Sick Patriot

1 comment:

Sean McLeod said...

Well, someone sure had a big bowl of Wheaties this morning! I read this on my way in to work (love my new phone) and I couldn't agree with you more, Sis. Sad that once again reasoned argument appears to be losing to superficial issues, thanks to the McCain campaign's manipulation of the media. Everyday spent talking about trivialities is a win for McCain. Obama can stay on message but the news media know that they'll get better ratings covering the superficial just to make sure they're part of the "conversation." Pathetic, but this is what we get in our capitalistic society where the news media are just another business trying to make a profit. Dissecting the issues is not their thang because they know the public is far less interested in depth of coverage and better able to cover the sound bites.