Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Obama Sock Puppet

Of course on its face comparing Black people to primates is offensive. But also on its face, the sock monkey is cute and I want to own one too, so there! Some folks might collect buttons, t-shirts, or posters, but I want the sock puppet and the Hillary nutcracker too! Does this make me racist AND sexist? Have I so bought into four centuries of Black degradation that I would gleefully support the latest example of oppression?

No, not at all. I simply view it as a manifestation of Obamamania in the most exciting election of my lifetime. I don't like the idea of someone getting rich off the idea if the sock monkey really takes off especially if Black folks give it an OK. But I think that whining about such things sounds weak, like all those Hillary supporters who complained about the nutcrackers being sold in airports. Yes, it was sexist and practically given a pass in a way that the Obama/Curious George t-shirt was not. Yes, no white male candidate had to endure something equally offensive. But as Peggy Noonan wrote so eloquently, women like Golda Meir, Indira Ghandi, and Margaret Thatcher knew they were up against the patriarchy yet never complained about sexism: "It is blame-gaming, whining, a way of not taking responsibility, of not seeing your flaws and addressing them. You want to say, 'Girl, butch up, you are playing in the leagues, they get bruised in the leagues, they break each other's bones, they like to hit you low and hear the crack, it's like that for the boys and for the girls.'"

So I agree with Jimi Izrael, whom I've been listening to every Friday for months on NPR's Tell Me More. Let's disarm the racists by showing that their objectification of Obama holds no power over us. We define who we are in this day and age. This is 2008, not 1908 and a Black man is at the brink of becoming president! And just ask Barack Obama himself. He's not about to be swift-boated let alone allow some dumb puppet to derail him from his bigger mission. So why don't we measure our collective racial outrage against an event like Hurricane Katrina, for example. In terms of racism and demanding a response, the sock puppet doesn't move the needle even one millimeter.

2 comments:

Ericka said...

The "dis-arming" is fine and dandy and all, but I'm still not buying a sock monkey of my President of the United States. And I'm kind of mad at you for wanting to...it reminds me of Dukakis in a helmet to lay down and openly allow people to portray him this way. I can't support anything with malicious intent at the core no matter how "cute" he end result could be. It feels like betrayal.

If they would have made him as himself, then there would be nothing discussed here.

Love ya Bro...but I'm not with you on this one.

Sean McLeod said...

I hear you, sis, cuz I'm not there 100% myself, maybe just 75%. One reason that Dave Chapelle stopped doing his show was that he heard this man laughing at his comedy sketch in a way that just didn't seem right. Even though he was making fun of racism, some people still saw the "humor" through a lens of racism and Chapelle didn't want to perpetuate that body of knowledge and misunderstanding.

That being said, can we never have racial parity on some things? There's a McCain monkey too. I know it's not exactly the same historically, but can we never let go of the painful parts of our past? Does everything have to be a reminder of this country's racism? If I know my history, can't I own it in a way that empowers me?